Common Signs & Causes Of Blocked Drains
Plumbing is one of those everyday household functions that seem to fade into the background – when drains work they are invisible. But when a drain fails to clear effectively, suddenly you are stuck with a very inconvenient, sometimes smelly mess that can be very difficult to rectify.
When faced with blocked or clogged drains, most households reach for chemical drain cleaners, which are not always the best option. Don’t risk harm to your plumbing or a failed DIY job – call your local plumber today.
What causes blocked drains?
Drains are designed to be very effective at removing water, and if only water is poured down your drains, they will work nearly indefinitely. However, the reality of your bathroom, kitchen and laundry is not nearly that neat. Some of the more common causes of drain issues include:
- Hair. Anyone with long hair will know the characteristic tangle in the grate at the bottom of the sink and shower. Clearing the hair regularly will help drains flow freely longer.
- Toys. Anyone with a toddler can confirm two things. Firstly, kids are fascinated by many regular functions of the household, including the magic of a flush button to take stuff away. Second, few magical phenomenon are worth investigating without experimentation on toys. If a toy is flushed, it will likely leave the toilet bowl, but cause issues further down the pipework.
- Toilet paper. Large amounts of toilet paper can gather and create blockages. If your toilet water drains slowly, you might be able to rectify with a plunger and some enthusiasm. However, if the toilet refuses to drain, a plumber may be needed to clear the issue.
- Fat. Hot fat for frying chips or from a roast might seem plenty fluid after cooking, but in the cooler environment of your plumbing fat has a bad habit of solidifying and becoming incredibly sticky. Fat blockages can gather other food and create big, smelly problems or attract pests. Throw fat into a compost bin for a safe disposal alternative.
Often drain issues do not have a single cause, but build up over time with little contribution.
Signs of blocked drains
There are some hallmark signs that you have a blocked drain. If you find any of the following signs, call JCS Plumbing to intervene early. These signs include:
- Gurgling sounds
- Changing water levels in your sink, toilet or shower
- Slow draining sinks
- Noticeable drop in water pressure
- Bad smells
Contact JCS Plumbers Perth WA
If you have a blocked drain issue or have any other plumbing emergency, trust the team at JCS Plumbing for a quick response and effective solutions. We have been providing 24-hour plumbing solutions to metropolitan Perth for over fifteen years. Our team are all highly experienced, trained plumbers who can deal with your blocked drain efficiently and with the minimum of fuss.
Plumbing issues rarely go away on their own. To prevent high damage, repair or high water bills, call JCS plumbing today for you emergency plumbing solutions.