Checking for Gas Leaks at Home

Gas is and has been used effectively in Australian households for decades. Although the use of gas appliances is entirely safe, a gas leak poses the threat of explosion or fire occurring, putting lives and houses at risk. If a gas leak is suspected, immediate action should be taken by getting in contact with a plumbing company.

What could cause a gas leak?:

Gas leaks can occur from a variety of sources but the most common are listed below:

Faulty appliances:

Most gas leaks occur because of appliances, such as boilers and cookers, breaking or being badly fitted and maintained. This will commonly start to happen as the seal which connects the piping to the appliance becomes damaged with time. It may also be the result of poor initial fitting, so ensure all piping work carried out is completed by a licenced professional.

Broken piping:

Something often associated with older homes, the piping beneath the house can erode or become faulty with time, allowing gas to escape from the pipes and seep into the house.

How can you recognise gas leaks at home?

If you’re unsure about whether your house has a potential gas leak you should watch out for the following signs.

  1. The smell of sulphur in your house
  2. A visibly damaged gas pipe
  3. A hissing or whistling noise near a gas line
  4. Dust being blown near a gas line
  5. A higher than expected gas bill
  6. Bubbles in the water

If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to air out the house by opening nearby windows,  not smoking or having naked flames nearby and calling a plumber immediately.

What are the effects of these gas leaks?

Gas leaks, if left unchecked, can have potentially fatal consequences. Not only can the leaking of the highly combustible substance lead to burning and explosions, but it can also result in carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is dangerous due to the fact you cannot see it, taste it or smell it, but it can lead to permanent damage, such as brain damage, or even death.

Although most households should have a carbon monoxide detector, the different symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  1. Headaches
  2. Tiredness and confusion
  3. Stomach pain
  4. Dizziness
  5. Nausea and vomiting
  6. Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

Why JCS Plumbing?

If you are even slightly unsure about whether you have potential gas leaks, you are far better off being safer than sorry and contacting us at JCS Plumbing.

Our 15 years of experience have given us a reputation as one of Perth’s most reliable services for your water and gas plumbing needs. Our high-quality, 24-hour plumbing service means we are always ready to assist you, no matter the time or the situation.

Call us today for an obligation-free quote and we’ll figure out together what the best way is to help you!



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked (*).

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.